Erythromycin Estolate Tablet is a kind of antibiotic that is used to treat a variety of illnesses. Most infections of the respiratory system, ear, nose, throat, lungs, and skin can be treated with it. It prevents the bacteria from multiplying, which aids in the resolution of symptoms and the treatment of the illness.
What is Erythromycin?
Erythromycin is a pill that is taken orally to treat bacterial infections. It works by stopping bacteria from growing.
What is Erythromycin used for?
Erythromycin treats a variety of infections including, but not limited to:
- Lung infections, like pneumonia, Legionnaire’s disease, and whooping cough
- Throat infections, like diphtheria or bronchitis
- Skin infections
- Sexually transmitted diseases, like syphilis and gonorrhea
- Ear infections
- Gut infections
- Bladder and urinary tract infections
- Preventing bouts of recurrent rheumatic fever
What are the side effects of Erythromycin?
Common Erythromycin side effects include:
- Throwing up
- Feeling sick to your stomach
- Stomach area pain
- Loss of appetite
- Loose or frequent stools (diarrhea)
Rare, but serious Erythromycin side effects include:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Liver problems
- Allergic reactions (including hives, skin blisters, trouble breathing, and face or throat swelling)
- Kidney Problems
- Pancreas problems
- Hearing loss
If you think you are experiencing any side effects of Erythromycin, call your doctor and seek immediate medical help.
What you should know before using Erythromycin
Before using Erythromycin, tell your doctor about all prescription and over-the-counter medications you are currently using (especially theophylline, Viagra, terfenadine, cisapride, pimozide, astemizole, colchicine or cholesterol medication). Also let your doctor know if you have an allergy to Erythromycin or any other medications. Tell your doctor if you?ve ever had an irregular heartbeat, are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding or are planning to breastfeed. If you are planning to have any surgery, let your doctor know before using Erythromycin.
Drugs Similar to Erythromycin
250 mg, 500 mg